Pensacola Sanitarium

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
1915 postcard of the Sanitarium

The Pensacola Sanitarium was an early Pensacola hospital located on West Garden Street that operated between 1909 until (date needed).

It opened on January 14, 1909. The next day's Pensacola Journal featured the following writeup:

The Pensacola Sanitarium, in fact, stands as a full and most satisfactory fruition of dreams and plans which were at first attended with difficulties appearing well nigh insurmountable, and is a credit to the local push and enterprise which has made the institution possible. The new hospital opened for business yesterday with a number of patients already installed. The old St. Anthony's hospital has of course, been absorbed by the new concern.
The Pensacola Sanitarium opens its doors with a capacity of 20 beds; there are both ward beds and private rooms, in order to meet the varying classes of patronage. Entering at front, the visitor finds himself in a general reception hall, on the right of which is the parlor and office of the superintendent. On the left are double rooms to an X-ray laboratory, to be known as the electrotherapeutic room. Equipped with modern X-ray coil, static machines, body bakers, and wall plates for the administration of electricity. This room is perhaps the most interesting and certainly the most modernly and thoroughly equipped from a scientific standpoint in the entire building.
All methods of treatment supplied by the various institutions at Hot Springs may be given in the Therapy Room, which, in fact, contains every known modern appliance for the administration of electricity. The walls of the room are enameled black, in order to prevent the reflection of light, and to serve as a darkener in the development of X-ray pictures.
Leaving this room and regaining the hallway, the nurses' dining room is found in the rear, behind which is located the butler's pantry, the store room and general kitchen. An enclosed pavilion is to be found at the right, in the center of which is installed a passenger elevator.
Further in the rear, and apart from the main building are wards to be devoted to male and female colored patients respectively, and furthermost in the rear a treatment room is located for accident and emergency cases. This room is fully equipped with surgical appliances for minor work.
Adjacent to the rooms are baths, and a laboratory devoted to microscopic and similar work. In this department may be found modern types of microscopes, incubators, microtomes, also freezing apparatus for the examination of tumors, excretions and pathological specimens.
Proceeding to the second floor, a full south frontage is to be found, there being three suites of private rooms.
The central is a landing for a broad flight of stairs, which lead directly from the reception hall on the first floor. On the left and in the rear are the rooms of the superintendent and house surgeon, a large ward for the accommodation of moderate-priced beds being located in close proximity. Turning to the right, the second story of the enclosed pavilion is reached, and also the entrance to the elevator shaft.
In the rear of these are located two large wards for the accommodation of male and female patients respectively.
Furthermost in the rear, and connected with the main building, is located the general sterilizing and main operating room.
The operating room, among other advantages, possesses a valuable northern and eastern light. The walls are enameled in a white waterproof coating in order that they may be thoroughly flushed with a hose and thoroughly scrubbed preparatory to operative work. Here are to be found the latest types of modern instrument cases and operating tables.
To the left of this room is located the general sterilizing or "scrubbing up" room, in which is located the sterilizers for the preparation of instruments, and the sterilization of water and dressings, and the receptacles in which they will be kept in an aseptic state.
In this "scrubbing up" room are large porcelain sinks into which will run spigots of hot and cold water. These water outlets are controlled by a system of foot pedals in order that the surgeon may use quantities of hot and cold water freely without touching anything with his hands. Besides these stand enormous immersion jars containing antiseptic solutions for the preparation of the surgeon's hands.
In connection with the hospital a training school for nurses will be conducted, which will be in charge of the superintendent and two trained nurses. The corps of hospital nurses will consist at first, of six trained nurses from the Touro infirmary at New Orleans. There will, of course, be a night and day force.
Miss Dewitt Dillard, who will be in charge of the nurses' corps has been so far most efficiently filled, at least in the general work of arranging, by Miss Amelia Greenwald, formerly of Touro infirmary.[1]

References[edit]

  1. "Pensacola Sanitarium Opens Its Doors." Pensacola Journal, January 15, 1909.