Pensacola Electric Terminal Railway Company
The Pensacola Electric Terminal Railway Company was the operator of the streetcar system in Pensacola at the turn of the twentieth century. It was organized in 1897 as a successor to the Pensacola Terminal Company, which had fallen on hard times, and began operation of electric-powered trolleys on March 21, 1898. During the same year they built a new waiting station at Palafox and Gregory Streets for rail patrons.
William A. Blount's law firm assisted in the transition and introduced Boston-based firm Stone & Webster to help develop the utility. The Pensacola Electric Light & Power Company was also incorporated in 1897, building a coal-powered generator at Baylen and Cedar Streets that provided power to much of the area. Elevated wires were placed over the streets to provide electricity to the trolleys; a double set of tracks were placed in the broad Palafox Street; and a streetcar barn and mechanical shop was built at Gadsden and DeVilliers Streets.
As of 1899, the company was led by president W. H. Northup, general manager H. N. Brooks, secretary and treasurer DeCourcy W. Thom and ticket agent L. W. Williams. The trains ran from 6:30AM to 8:45PM (7:00PM on Saturdays), with fares ranging from 15¢ (roundtrip to Palmetto Beach) to 45¢ (roundtrip to Fort Barrancas). Children over three and bicycles were charged a flat rate of 5¢.
By 1906 Stone & Webster had taken full control of the streetcar and electric services.
- Charles H. Bliss. "Guide to Pensacola and Western Florida." Bliss Magazine, 1899.