Albert Miner Avery

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Albert Miner Avery
AMAvery.jpg
Born August 30, 1852
Pensacola
Died 1920
Pensacola
Occupation Businessman
Religion Episcopalian
Spouse May Clara Grant
Parents Albert Lord and Emily Campbell Avery
Children Stella Claire Avery
Albert Miner Avery, Jr.
Katherine Grant Avery
Annie Marian Avery
Preston Stoddard Avery
Two others
AMAvery-sig.png

Albert Miner Avery (1852-1920) was a Pensacolian businessman known primarily for his engagement in the hardware business.

Avery was born in Pensacola on August 30, 1852. His father, Albert Lord Avery, had first come to Escambia County in 1833. Albert Miner Avery was educated in the local schools in Pensacola and later attended University of the South in Tennessee, but did not earn a degree.

In 1876 he joined his father's wholesale hardware firm, which became A. L. and A. M. Avery. This firm, which his father had started and he would continue, was the predecessor to what would become, in 1921, the Pensacola Hardware Company, which is still extant today. At some point the elder Avery retired, and A. M. Avery took as a partner a Mr. Woolfolk, and the firm was hence known as Avery and Woolfolk, until the year 1889, in which Mr. Woolfolk retired. Avery was henceforth the sole proprietor. In 1906 he organised the Avery Hardware & Supply Company, of which he was president, to manage the business.

A. M. Avery married May Clara Grant in February 1878.[1] Avery served as a city alderman for several years. He was also president of the Mutual Building & Loan and director of the American National Bank. He died in 1920.

Avery Street is named for the Avery family.

Other offices[edit]

  • Member, Osceola Club. On Executive Committee, at least 1885.
  • Member of the city board of aldermen (date needed)
  • Director, American National Bank (date needed)
  • Board of Directors, Pensacola Building & Loan Association, at least 1885

References[edit]

  1. Makers of America: An Historical and Biographical Work by an Able Corps of Writers. Jacksonville, FL Historical Society (1909).