William Franklin Lee
|William Franklin Lee|
|Born||July 14, 1832|
Charleston, South Carolina
|Died||September 7, 1906|
|Occupation||Engineer, builder, soldier, postmaster|
|Spouse||Susanna Rebecca Lloyd|
Originally from Charleston, South Carolina, Lee moved to Pensacola in the 1850s and worked as a surveyor for the Pensacola and Georgia Railroad. He married Susanna Rebecca Lloyd and began work on their family home at 226 East Gregory Street.
A fervent supporter of the Confederacy, Lee volunteered for military service on January 12, 1861 — two days after Florida seceded from the Union. He assisted in the engineering of Pensacola's harbor defenses and joined Edward A. Perry's Pensacola Rifle Rangers as a second lieutenant. He saw action as far north as Virginia and was wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville, forcing the amputation of his right arm.
Lee served as Pensacola Postmaster for eight years.
He died in 1906.
Lee Street is named for him. Lloyd Street, running parallel one block to the south, is named for his wife. The William Franklin Lee house was relocated by the Historic Pensacola Preservation Board from its original location to 420 South Alcaniz Street in 1967 and was later renovated as the headquarters of the Pensacola Association of Realtors. A fire gutted the building in 2001, and after receiving further damage from Hurricane Ivan, it was finally demolished in May 2005.
- See also: Lee House Bed & Breakfast
- "Ivan 's fury finished off the historic Lee House." Pensacola News Journal, March 5, 2005.