Nobles Building

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Nobles Building
Crowds line up outside the Nobles Building to see Gone with the Wind at the Florida Theatre, 1947
Building Information
Location Palafox Street, between Gregory and Chase Streets
Size Two stories
<googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.414631" lon="-87.215846" zoom="16" width="300" height="250">

30.415019, -87.215561 </googlemap>

The Nobles Building is a two-story commercial building located on the east side of Palafox Street, between Gregory and Chase Streets.

It was constructed in (date needed) and owned by Dr. W. D. Nobles. In the early 1940s, a portion of the building was converted into the Florida Theatre. Shortly thereafter, in 1944, a fire caused $60,000 worth of damage to the Florida Theatre and 30 other offices in the building, only $15,000 of which was covered by insurance. Nevertheless, it was restored.[1]

Excluding the Florida Theatre, the Nobles Building currently bears a single address, 180 North Palafox Street, and is occupied by a single tenant, Cox Media.

Street view[edit]


  1. "Plan New Florida Theatre Following $60,000 Blaze." Boxoffice, November 4, 1944.