Martin H. Sullivan
Martin and Daniel Sullivan, brothers, founded the First National Bank of Pensacola, housed in the Opera House, also owned by them.
In 1900, General Russell Alexander Alger of Michigan and Martin H. Sullivan of Pensacola formed the Alger-Sullivan Syndicate to establish lumber operations in the South and located a mill near the tiny black village of Teaspoon. The company named the new community “Century” in light of their optimism for economic development and the dawn of the new century.
The region's logging industry got a major start with Martin Sullivan, the early Pensacola businessman. During the Civil War, Sullivan supplied beef from wild and range cattle to Federal troops occupying the area. He amassed a small fortune from such activities and after the war purchased about 100,000 acres of virgin woodlands from the Federal government. He eventually owned over 226,000 acres in south Alabama.
Martin Sullivan died on 15 October 1911 in Baltimore, Maryland. He was buried on 17 Oct 1911 in St Michaels Cemetery, Pensacola, Florida.