Lewis Bear Warehouse

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Lewis Bear Warehouse was a two-story brick vernacular warehouse that stood at 101 East Main Street from 1905 until 2006, when it was demolished to make way for the Jefferson Place project.

The building served as a major warehouse for the Lewis Bear Company until 1973, after which the building fell into disrepair. A planned renovation was scrapped after engineers pronounced the structure unsafe, and the City of Pensacola's Architectural Review Board certified its demolition.

The Jefferson Place condominium, planned to occupy the site, was designed by Spencer Maxwell Bullock Architects to mirror the footprint of the old warehouse and mimic its historic appearance. The project was suspended following the housing market decline, and as of 2008 nothing has been built on the site of the former structure.


  • J. Earle Bowden. "Old Bear building lost battle with time." Pensacola News Journal, April 29, 2006.