W. B. Wright Company

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
W. B. Wright Co. mill letterhead

The W. B. Wright Company was a lumbering firm operated by William Benjamin Wright.

The company was initially established in 1872 by Wright's father, George Washington Wright, who retired in 1888. W. B. continued the business and incorporated it under his own name in December 1895.

Its mills were located at the corner of Intendencia Street and 10th Avenue and in 1901 had a capacity to turn out 65,000 feet of lumber, 20,000 laths and 40,000 shingles.

The company owned two tugboats (Columbia and Hercules) and a fleet of lighters. It could also transport lumber to its mills via the Yellow River Railroad, of which W. B. Wright served as vice president.


  • J. S. Glass, editor. The Southern Manufacturer, Volume V, Number 3. New Orleans: June 1901.