St. Michael's Catholic Church
|St. Michael's Catholic Church|
|Father||Peter A. McLaughlin|
|Location||19 North Palafox Street|
|Previous locations||Government Street near Jefferson|
It was built after a fire destroyed the parish's previous church building (on Government Street near present-day Jefferson Street) in September 1882. The lot for the new building was purchased by Father John Baptist Baasen for $3,000, and the church itself was built by architect Charles Overman and contractor John F. Kehoe for $27,000. The exterior walls are made of red brick (since covered by stucco) and the interior woodwork of Florida pine. The building was dedicated on June 6, 1886.
Father Joseph Callipare is the current pastor.