Jump to navigation Jump to search
Saufley Field was constructed as an Outlying Landing Field (OLF) for the United States Navy that officially opened in August of 1940. The base was named after Lieutenant Junior Grade Richard C. Saufley, Naval Aviator #14, who died in a crash of his Curtis Model E seaplane on June 9th, 1916 near Santa Rosa Island.
The base is located at the extreme western edge of metropolitan Pensacola near the northeastern shore of Perdido Bay. <googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.467614" lon="-87.340965" zoom="13">30.467614, -87.340965Saufley Field</googlemap>