Christ Church Parish School House

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Christ Church Parish School House
Building Information
Location 212 Church Street
Client Christ Church Parish
Engineer A. V. Clubbs
Completion Date 1886
Cost $923
Size Two stories

The Christ Church Parish School House is a historic school building located at 212 Church Street. It is a part of the Historic Pensacola Village and is owned by West Florida Historic Preservation, Inc.

The building was erected a schoolhouse for Christ Church Parish, which had previously established two other schoolhouses on the street; the first, built in 1856, was destroyed during the Civil War, and its replacement also burned in 1884. The third and current structure was built by A. V. Clubbs for a cost of $923 and completed in 1886. The parish used the building as a school and chapel until 1897, after which it was leased to the Escambia County School Board and became known as Public School No. 74.

Scarrit Moreno purchased the building in 1900 and converted it to rental housing.

In 1996 the building was purchased by the Historic Pensacola Preservation Board (now WFHPI) and became the headquarters of the Old Hometown program. It is currently occupied by the University of West Florida's Institute for Innovative Community Learning.


  • Telleny Dixon. "The Old Hometown Schoolhouse." Voices of the Past.