Open main menu

McKenzie Oerting & Company

Revision as of 19:25, 15 January 2009 by Dscosson (talk | contribs) (1862 -> 1863)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

McKenzie Oerting & Company was a ship chandlery, marine supply and grocery founded in 1863 by Danish immigrant P. J. McKenzie Oerting and reorganized in 1886 by his son, Charles McKenzie Oerting. Its headquarters at 601 South Palafox Street was built in 1892.

McKenzie Oerting & Company
Inside the McKenzie Oerting headquarters in the 1960s
Inside the McKenzie Oerting headquarters in the 1960s
Industry Ship chandlerly and marine supply
Location 601 South Palafox Street
Established 1863
Founder P. J. McKenzie Oerting

When the business closed in 1971 with the retirement of John Alexander Oerting, Sr., it had the distinction of being city's oldest surviving business.

Other imagesEdit

See alsoEdit


  • J. S. Glass, editor. The Southern Manufacturer, Volume V, Number 3. New Orleans: June 1901.