Open main menu

Fairnie Hill Place

<googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.434151" lon="-87.206683" zoom="16" width="250" height="240"> 6#B2758BC5 (#B2758BC5) 30.435576, -87.208389 30.436122, -87.205449 30.434244, -87.204999 30.433707, -87.207928 30.435576, -87.208389 </googlemap>

Fairnie Hill Place was an early East Hill estate owned by Alexander Stoddart, the founder and manager of the New York Underwriters Agency and owner/developer of the Lakeview Tract.

The estate occupied a four-block area bounded by 12th Avenue to the east, Lakeview Avenue to the south, 10th Avenue to the west and Jordan Street to the north. It was purchased by William C. Cooke from the Pensacola City Company on December 17, 1870. Cooke sold it to Peter Knowles on February 23, 1871, and Knowles sold it to Stoddart on May 8, 1872. During the 1870s it was known as Greenwood Cottage.

Stoddart built a large vacation home on the property, along with servants' quarters, laundry facilities, milk house, carriage house, summer house and barn. The house interior was adorned with murals by Theodore Weber. Leading to the main house was a large drive with two fountains.

It is believed the the first azaleas to flourish in the Pensacola area were planted at Fairnie Hill Place by Mr. and Mrs. Stoddart, who planned their springtime visits to Pensacola to coincide with the plants' blooming time.

After the Stoddarts' deaths, the property was sold and the two largest azalea bushes were sold to Thomas A. Johnson and Fred Scott, who moved them to their their respective homes at 304 West Gadsden Street and Innerarity Point.

The house at Fairnie Hill Place was demolished in (date needed). A historical marker was erected by the Pensacola Woman's Club at its site on 12th Avenue. Fairnie Avenue is named for the estate.


  • "The First Azaleas in Pensacola." Manuscript in Pensacola Historical Society archives.