B'nai Israel Synagogue
B'nai Israel Synagogue started in 1899 as the local orthodox Jewish congregation. In 1923, a house at 400 N. Barcelona Street was purchased and became the new home of B’nai Israel. As the congregation grew in the 1940’s efforts began to build a new synagogue at Mallory Street and Ninth Avenue. Ground was broken on Dec. 2, 1953, and the complex was dedicated on Sept. 26, 1954. The following year, B’nai Israel affiliated with United Synagogues of America becoming a Conservative congregation.
B'nai Israel has a kosher kitchen, and is egalitarian between men and women and their participation in services.
The current Rabbi is Rabbi David Cohen-Henriquiez
- Rabbi Sam Waidenbaum
- Rabbi Israel Vana