Alabama, Florida & Georgia Railroad
The Florida, Alabama & Georgia Railroad Company (A, F&G) was the earliest company in the Pensacola area to attempt construction of a railroad, though it was ultimately unsuccessful. It was the predecessor of the Alabama & Florida Railroad.
As railroads first began operation in the 1820s, Pensacola's business leaders began planning a way to connect the harbor to this new transportation network. In December 1833, a public meeting was held that resulted in a request to the Alabama state legislature and Florida territorial council for permission to construct a 210-mile railroad. Finding enthusiastic approval from the Florida lawmakers, the Florida, Alabama & Georgia Railroad was incorporated on February 14, 1834, authorized to build a road from Pensacola to the Florida-Alabama border, where it would join a road from Columbus, Georgia.
The Alabama legislature was less enthusiastic, as Mobile delegates worried that a proposed branch line to Montgomery would affect commerce down the Alabama River. When their delegation blocked a first attempt to pass a charter, a compromise was reached that scrapped the Montgomery line, after which the plan was approved in late 1834. Florida endorsed the Alabama charter in February of the next year.
Funding & planning
In December 1834, 15,000 shares of A, F&G stock were put on the market at $0.25 per share and quickly purchased, bringing in $3,750 and allowing the company to organize as per its charter. This occurred on December 17. Military engineer William H. Chase was elected the board's president.
Charles H. Hildreth. "Railroads Out Of Pensacola, 1833-1883." Florida Historical Quarterly, Volume XXXCII, Numbers 3 and 4, January-April 1959.