Washington Junior College

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Booker T. Washington Junior College was the first state-supported junior college for African-Americans in Florida. It was established in Pensacola on September 6, 1949, about a year after Pensacola Junior College opened its doors. The school was located across from the original Booker T. Washington High School on the corner of Strong and A Streets.

It was authorized as a two-year college by the State Department of Public Instruction. The first class graduated in 1951 with 23 students. Dr. Garrett Thurston Wiggins was the school's president.

The segregated high school and junior college moved together to Tunis Street (now Texar Street) in 1954.[date uncertain]

Washington Junior College merged with PJC in 1966.