From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Who gave the order?
Different sources disagree on who gave Conway the order to strike the colours. Candidates and sources are listed below.
- Lieutenant Frederick B. Kinshaw (CSA) – officer serving w/ Chase and his CSA volunteers
- Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography, 1888. p. 712.
- Commodore Ebenezer Farrand (USA/CSA) – XO of the Yard, switched loyalties
- Lieutenant Francis Renshaw (USA)
- "Union flag surrendered here should be on display", Pensacola News Journal, October 20, 2007.