St. Michael's Cemetery

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Alcaniz Street gateway to St. Michael's Cemetery.

St. Michael's Cemetery is an historic eight-acre cemetery in downtown Pensacola. It is home to 3,200 marked burials and many others that are unmarked. Its earliest use dates back to 1781, making it one of the oldest burial sites in Florida, but was formally surveyed and designated a cemetery in 1807 and remained the only burial ground in Pensacola until 1876, when St. John's Cemetery was created.

The cemetery was deeded to the City of Pensacola by the Catholic Church in 1964. In 1967, the City deeded it to the Pensacola Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission. It was later deed to the State of Florida. In June 2000, the cemetery became an official project of Save America's Treasures, a partnership between the White House Millennium Council and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Now designated as a state park and administered by a volunteer organization, St. Michael's Cemetery Foundation of Pensacola, Inc., the cemetery is in an ongoing process of conservation and restoration that will eventually see the addition of new walkways and support buildings.

Historic Residents[edit]

<googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.414298" lon="-87.209387" type="satellite" zoom="18" width="400" height="500"> </googlemap>
See also People buried in St. Michael's Cemetery

Among the graves of St. Michael's Cemetery are the following:

External Links[edit]