From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
|Salvador T. Pons|
|Born|| December 23, 1835|
|Died||March 21, 1890|
|Occupation||Bricklayer, public official|
Salvador T. Pons was the first African-American mayor of Pensacola. He served as mayor in at least 1878 (and also in 1874 according to some sources). Pons was a mulatto, born in Mexico to one black parent and one Hispanic parent.
- Representative from Escambia County to the State Legislature (1868-70, 1875)
- Pensacola councilman (1869-70, 1874)
- Mayor of Pensacola (1874, 1878 [unclear])
- Pensacola city clerk (1877-80, 1882-84)
- Pensacola Historical Society. Pensacola in Vintage Postcards. Arcadia, 2005.
- Brown, Canter. Florida's Black Public Officials. University of Alabama Press, 1998.
R. A. Stearns
|Mayor of Pensacola
William McKenzie Oerting