Punta de Sigüenza
Punta de Sigüenza is the name given to the western tip of Santa Rosa Island, where Fort Pickens is now located. It was named for the Spanish scientist and explorer Carlos de Sigüenza y Góngora during his 1693 expedition with General Andrés de Pez.
Punta de Sigüenza became the site of Presidio Isla de Santa Rosa colony in 1722. The presidio was battered by hurricanes in 1741, 1754 (after which settlers relocated to the mainland) and 1762, when the last remnants were wiped out.