Phenix Building

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Phenix Building
PalafoxWaterfrontPhenix.jpg
The Phenix Building circa 1890s
Building Information
Location Palafox and Cedar Streets
Client William Fisher
Engineer L.C. Sarra
Completion Date 1893
Date Demolished 2004 (from damage received in Hurricane Ivan)
Size three stories

The Phenix Building was a historic building at the corner of Palafox and Cedar Streets, immediately south of the famous Trader Jon's building. An 1893 advertisement in the Daily News read as follows:

FOR RENT, in the new three-story building on Palafox, below Main, to be known as "THE PHENIX," the following apartments: Two small store rooms, 10x50, suitable for fruit or tobacco stores, or for offices, on ground floor: water and gas. Three elegant rooms on second floor, suitable for offices or sleeping rooms; S.W. exposure, plastered and papered, water and gas. Hall on third floor, 50x50, plastered and papered, no columns, has fireplaces, water and gas, accessible by two flights stairs. Ventilated from every quarter. Terms low to right parties. Apply at once to L.C. Sarra, Builder

Early tenants included a barbershop, cigar store, and Dunn's Hotel. In 1903 it had become the Bay Hotel, Restaurant and Shooting Gallery.

Its last tenant was Sarah's, an upscale women's clothing store and boutique. The damage it received in 2004 from Hurricane Ivan was so severe, the building (in spite of its name) had to be demolished.

Other images[edit]