Norwegian Seaman's Church
|Norwegian Seaman's Church|
The Seaman's Church in the 1920s
|Location||SE corner Palafox and Pine Streets|
The Norwegian Seaman's Church (also called the Scandinavian Seaman's Church) was a Lutheran congregation that provided religious services to the Norwegian mariners who put into port at Palafox Wharf and other nearby docks. It was established in 1877 and erected a church building at the southeast corner of Palafox and Pine Street (near modern Lexington Plaza) in 1878. According to the 1885 Pensacola directory, the Reverend Peter O. Olsen conducted services only in Norwegian, and only during the six months between November 15 and May 15.
The church building was destroyed in an 1886 fire and was subsequently rebuilt. Gustav O. Barrman is listed as the pastor in 1894. The church was ultimately razed in 1934, but similar churches were built in other port cities along the Gulf Coast.