McGaughy House

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The McGaughy House, former home of Hopkins' House

The McGaughy House is a historically significant house at 900 North Spring Street in North Hill, best known as the home of the Hopkins' House boarding house and restaurant from 1951-2004.

The house was built in 1902. In November 1951, Arkie Hopkins purchased the house and moved her Hopkins' House business there, where it operated in some capacity until February 2004, when Ed Hopkins closed the restaurant and began seeking a new owner to take over the business. He was unable to find a buyer and died in September 2004. The house was purchased for $340,000 on July 5, 2005 by Elise and Don Gordon, who turned it into a private residence and auctioned its contents.[1]

In late April 2008, the Gordons opened the house for public tours for one weekend as part of the Historic North Hill Preservation Association's spring 2008 tour. For a fee, they offered a tour of the home, as well as a fried chicken dinner with two sides.

References[edit]

  1. "A historic occasion." Pensacola News Journal, September 18, 2005.