Mary Turner Rule Reed
|Mary Turner Rule Reed|
Mary Turner Rule Reed (1929-1976) was a Pensacola historian and preservationist who, along with Pat Dodson and J. Earle Bowden, helped establish the Seville Square Historic District. Her efforts lobbying state and federal authorities helped lead to the creation of the Historic Pensacola Preservation Board, the establishment of the Gulf Islands National Seashore and the designation of Plaza Ferdinand VII as a national historic landmark.
The gazebo in Seville Square was dedicated in her memory on May 9, 1981, calling her a "Pioneer and Inspiration for Pensacola's Historical Preservation Movement." In addition, a "Great Floridian" plaque in her honor is located at the Merritt House at 619 North Baylen Street.