J's Pastry Shop
In 1999, Rowland was forced to close, not from a lack of business (the previous year's gross sales were $650,000), but from a shortage of good employees. After failing to sell the business for an asking price of $300,000, Rowland closed the store on April 25.
In June 1999, Rowland enlisted the assistance of "business turnaround artist" Jack Moran, who orchestrated a promotional event to demonstrate the bakery's popularity: using the remaining inventory of ingredients and selling pastries to benefit FavorHouse. The resulting frenzy had customers lining up around the block, and Rowland was convinced they could make another attempt at the business. They renovated the store, hired a new general manager, Gabriel Neyra, and reopened on October 14, 1999.
Hours of operation
- Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Their phone number is (850) 432-4180 or (850) 438-4609.
- J's Pastry Shop Official Page - Facebook.com
- Reviews, Photos & Other Info - TripAdvisor.com
- Reviews, Blog Posts, Business Info - UrbanSpoon.com
- Reviews, Directions & Business Info - Yelp.com
- Blog Review & More Photos - FoodBaby Blog
- Opinion Article with Photos & Business Info - VisitSouth.com
- "J's Pastry Shop in East Hill will close on April 25." Pensacola News Journal, April 13, 1999.
- "J's back selling treats." Pensacola News Journal, September 14, 1999.