Fort San Carlos de Austria
|San Carlos de Austria|
|Construction materials||pine stakes & logs; sand|
|Size||quadrilateral, about 100 yards square|
|Armament|| Twelve 8- and 10-pound guns (1698)|
28 guns (1718)
Fort San Carlos de Austria was the first European fortification established in the Pensacola area, a Spanish redoubt built on the barrancas by the 1698 Arriola expedition. It was designed by Austrian engineer Jaime Franck and named for Charles VI, 13-year-old Habsburg cousin to King Carlos II and claimant to the Spanish throne.
- James C. and Irene S. Coleman. Guardians on the Gulf: Pensacola Fortifications, 1698-1980. Pensacola Historical Society, 1982.