First Church of Christ, Scientist
The First Church of Christ, Scientist is a Pensacola Christian Science congregation located at 4880 North 9th Avenue. The church also operates the Christian Science Reading Room in downtown Pensacola.
Christian Science presence first came to Pensacola in 1895. It was reorganized in 1905 as an official branch of the Mother Church in Boston. Services were held in various downtown buildings until the church purchased a property at 15 West Belmont Street in 1920.
In 1967, the church purchased a larger property at 4880 North 9th Avenue. Construction of a new building began in April 1972, and the first service was held on December 10, 1974. The building was officially dedicated on December 29 of that year.
- "First Church of Christ, Scientist Dedicates Church." Pensacola Journal, December 28, 1974.