Ernest Olmstead Saltmarsh

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Ernest O. Saltmarsh
Born December 15, 1848
Windsor, Vermont
Died December 16, 1933
Quantico, Virginia
Occupation Railroad executive
Spouse Margaret Eveline Brent
Parents Dr. Seth & Mary Henrietta Sanford Saltmarsh
Children Thomas William Saltmarsh
Henrietta Mercedes Saltmarsh

Ernest Olmstead Saltmarsh (1848-1933) was a Pensacola railroad magnate who greatly expanded Pensacola's exports on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad.

Born in Windsor, Vermont, Saltmarsh studied civil engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, graduating in 1869. He joined the L&N Railroad in 1872, working in various positions until being transferred to Pensacola as division superintendent. There he also served as general manager of the Gulf Transit Company and president of the Yellow Railroad. During the yellow fever epidemic of 1882, Saltmarsh refused to abandon the city and helped administer relief to the Pensacola citizenry.

As W. D. Chipley became focused on expanding the L&N lines, which soon absorbed the Pensacola & Atlantic Railroad, Saltmarsh presided over a rail boom, as the railroads carried lumber, coal and other exports from Pensacola to other parts of the country.

When the old Union Depot was replaced with the L&N Passenger Terminal (now part of the Crowne Plaza Hotel), Saltmarsh made his offices on the building's second floor until poor health made him step down as superintendent on April 29, 1929, after which he continued to work as assistant to the general manager.

Saltmarsh built a family home at 14 West Belmont Street that featured a tower from which he could see his beloved L&N Depot, and even the beach.

A coal shipping steamer was named the E. O. Saltmarsh in his honor, and the company presented him with a three-foot scale replica.

He died on December 16, 1933, the day after his 86th birthday, while visiting his daughter at the Marine base in Quantico, Virginia. His body was returned to Pensacola and interred at St. Michael's Cemetery.

References[edit]