Civil War Soldiers Museum
|Type||Privately owned non-profit|
|Location||108 South Palafox Street|
|Operated by||Dr. Norman Haines|
|Director||Billie Ruth Hair|
|Closed||September 2004 (Hurricane Ivan)|
|Annual Visitors||10,000 in 1998|
The museum was owned by Dr. Norman W. Haines, Jr., a gastroenterologist who collected a number of Civil War artifacts from the battlefield at Antietam during his childhood in western Maryland. As his collection grew, he dreamed of opening a museum, which he did in August 1991.
The 4,200-square-foot facility housed an array of artifacts, with a focus on medical technology of the period (reflecting Haines's interest as a doctor), with one display depicting a lifelike amputation. The "Pensacola Room" included information about Confederate Secretary of the Navy Stephen R. Mallory and featured the handmade First National Confederate flag captured during the Battle of Santa Rosa Island on October 9, 1861. There was also an exhibit about slavery, battlefield maps, weapons, artillery shells, cooking utensils, personal correspondence from soldiers and more.
The museum closed in September 2004 after the roof was ripped off by Hurricane Ivan, destroying about a fifth of the collection and damaging another fifth. The surviving artifacts were donated to the T. T. Wentworth Museum, including a 12-pound cannonball found in downtown Pensacola, a battle muster roll, and an original label from the flagstaff cleat at Fort McRee.
- "History a growing part of area tourism." Pensacola News Journal, March 10, 1999.
- "Movie, museum shed light on divided past." Pensacola News Journal, February 17, 2003.
- "Auld Lang Saenger." Pensacola News Journal, February 10, 2008.