From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Cemeteries are an occasional target by vandals and graverobbers. Below is a compiled list of incidents (recent at top).
- July 9, 2007 - Several dozen headstones are discovered vandalized in Pfeiffer Cemetery.
- December 29, 2006 – Sixty tombstones in Coon Hill Cemetery in Jay are vandalized.
- November 25, 2006 – The baby section of Pensacola Memorial Gardens and Funeral Home on Pine Forest Drive is vandalized. Vases are knocked over and statues are smashed. Several teenagers later admit to the crime.
- January 24, 2006 – Greg Allen Woodard causes thousands of dollars of damage at historic St. Michael's Cemetery, vandalizing at least two dozen graves in search of valuables to sell for cocaine. He was sentenced to 10 years in state prison.
- August 21, 2005 – Vandalism at Temple Beth-El Cemetery
- July 22, 2004 - Vandals cause about $25,000 in damages at St. Michael's Cemetery by pushing over and breaking about 20 historic headstones.
- December 4, 2003 – About 15 graves are discovered vandalized at Myrtle Grove Cemetery.
- December 1, 2003 – Bayview Memorial Park is vandalized.
- May 27, 2003 – 13 graves are discovered vandalized at St. Michael's Cemetery.
- December 29, 1999 – Two juvenile offenders who escaped from a state detention field trip rampage through St. Michael's Cemetery, vandalizing graves and attacking visitors.