Barrancas Avenue

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Fsr292.png
Barrancas Avenue
East end: Garden Street (at D Street)
Major
junctions:
Government Street
Main Street
Pace Boulevard
Old Corry Field Road
West end: Navy Boulevard (at Gulf Beach Highway)

<googlemap version="0.9" lat="30.398938" lon="-87.251015" width="288" height="225"> 6#B2DE424D 30.411314, -87.229567 30.404022, -87.240875 30.403634, -87.241562 30.403615, -87.242184 30.403634, -87.244952 30.40319, -87.246239 30.402523, -87.247205 30.399821, -87.249544 30.399303, -87.249951 30.395861, -87.251561 30.395028, -87.252183 30.387869, -87.276292 30.387717, -87.278125 6#B2DE424D 30.386791, -87.278104 30.387295, -87.277644 30.387851, -87.276549 </googlemap>

Barrancas Avenue is a major thoroughfare linking downtown Pensacola to Warrington.

Barrancas Avenue begins at a triple intersection with West Garden Street and D Street. From there it travels southwesterly, diagonally traversing the street grid. West of its intersection with Pace Boulevard, Barrancas carries Florida State Road 292. After traversing Bayou Chico via the Bayou Chico Bridge, Barrancas continues southwesterly, bordering the Pensacola Country Club. Barrancas Avenue's western terminus is at Navy Boulevard; west of Navy the thoroughfare (and Florida State Road 292) continues as Gulf Beach Highway.

Prior to the construction of the Bayou Chico Bridge in the late 1990s, the portion of Barrancas near Bayou Chico followed a slightly different course, crossing the bayou to the southeast, where Pace Boulevard currently terminates. This span of what was Barrancas Avenue still exists and is signed Old Barrancas Avenue.

Street origin[edit]

Barrancas Avenue was not part of Pensacola's original street grid. In 1907, the Maxent Land Company offered to donate the necessary land if the City was willing to construct a road between Garden Street to Bayou Chico, in order to connect with a road which Escambia County was constructing. The City accepted, and created Barrancas Avenue by ordinance on June 11, 1907.