Army of Pensacola

From Pensapedia, the Pensacola encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Army of Pensacola was the name given to Major General Braxton Bragg's Confederate forces at or near Pensacola during the Civil War, so designated on October 22, 1861.

After a temporary command by Brigadier General Adley H. Gladden, Brigadier General Samuel Jones took charge of the forces on January 27, 1862, at which time the force numbered around 8,100 men, divided among regiments in five states.

The Army of Pensacola was discontinued on March 13 of that year, its regiments absorbed into the Army of the Mississippi or assigned elsewhere.

Pensacola was evacuated by the Confederates on May 9.