Alabama & Florida Railroad
The Alabama & Florida Railroad Company was a railroad company incorporated by an act of legislature on January 8, 1853, with the purpose of building a railroad from Pensacola Bay north to the Florida-Alabama border, which would lead thence to Montgomery.
The construction of the railroad became eligible for financial assistance from the Internal Improvement Act of 1855. Engineer William H. Chase resigned from military service in 1856 to become president of the company. In Florida, the line was completed around January 1, 1860. The Alabama portion would not be completely finished until May 3, 1861.
After a bankruptcy and foreclosure, the railroad line and all of its franchises were sold to A. E. Maxwell on August 7, 1872, who resold the line to the Pensacola & Louisville Railroad Company on December 10 of the same year.
- Robert C. Black. The Railroads of the Confederacy. UNC Press, 1998.